On the self love journey, a lot of emphasis is put on knowing who are your People? , who has your back and who is faking it. Moreover, we have all heard or read: “Identify toxic people, relationships in your life and cut them off, your well being depends on that.” However, have you ever thought about what if you realize that you are the toxic person in the relationship? What do you do then? It can be in friendship, family, love life or situationship, what if you are the toxic person? It is not always someone else’s fault sometimes it’s your own.
How do you know when you are becoming the toxic person and what to do once you realize you are one
How do you know you are the toxic person?
Psychology experts argued that you know you are being the toxic person in a relationship when traits like becoming more and more needy start to happen. You want your friends, partner, family members to fulfill all your needs and solve all your problems. Another trait of toxic people is they make everything about themselves. Imagine telling a story which happen to you to someone and in the middle of your story the other person tell you: “I know what you mean” and change the subject to talk about themselves. This will automatically put you off.
Others traits of toxic people is that they give negative and unsolicited advice, they are controlling, inconsiderate of others and show them they are not really important. Gossiping behind your friends back, being jealous of their successes are also traits of toxic people. Moreover getting easily upset when things don’t go your way and refusing to comprise are also forms of toxic relationship. I personally relate to “getting upset easily”, likely I am actively working on that.
What do you do once you have realized you are the toxic one in the relationship
I have done some researches on what to do when you realize you are the toxic person in the relationships and also ask around to see what people would do if they realize that they are the toxic ones, here is what I have found:
- Start by identifying your toxic traits and find exactly in which relationship you are being the toxic person. Acknowledge you have issues to deal with and be willing to work on them.
- Start by apologizing for your behavior, be honest, ask for help and get better. You might lose your love ones, don’t take it lightly .
- Don’t do it for them but do it for you. Take time for yourself, take care of yourself as you have issues to deal with on your own and be open about your thoughts.
- Start listening more than you speak
- Be known for seeing the positive and never bringing up negative unless there is a constructive reason for it.
What do you do when you realize that you are the toxic person? Leave your thoughts below
Till next Sunday