It can be hard to motivate yourself when no one is watching is clapping for you. You can easily give up or take an entire year to do something you could have done in a month or few weeks if you gave your all. Some days you wake up motivated and ready to be on top of your game but some other days it is hard to get going and find the motivation to get things done. Here are 11+ ways to motivate yourself.
11+ ways to motivate yourself when no one is watching
1. Remind yourself why you want to do it. Why do you want to accomplish it? What is your motivation behind it? What does it matter to you? Wait, does it even matter to you? Write done your answer and stick it where you can easily access it.
2. Divide, break down your work into small pieces. Break your long term goal into short term goals, start small if big leads you to procrastinating, break it down into even smaller pieces if small steps feel heavy to you. Because the most important thing is o get going and move forward.
3. Cut down on your daily distraction. Put your phone on silence, work where you can focus and remember why you need it to be done
4. Make your activities fun and interesting. If what you are up to is boring, you are most likely to give up on it with time because doing boring things is not funny at all. Make it fun and exciting for yourself, you need to wake up and want to carry on with your work or project.
5. Spend more time with people that inspires you. If you can’t be with them physically, you can read their book, listen to their podcast, watch their video or documentaries, connect with them on social media and get inspired to get your things together and get serious about what you want for yourself. Don’t limit yourself. You can get inspiration from an anonymous’s blog post or a story on the radio or a movie you have just watched. I personally spend few hours a day to get inspiration from everywhere and anyone.
6. Reward yourself when you get something done. Celebrate even the smallest victories. There is nothing more exciting than doing what you said you were going to do and actually do it well and see results. Clap for yourself and treat yourself. Whenever I accomplish small victories, I celebrate by treating myself with ice-cream that’s my thing. Whenever you see me eating ice-cream, you will know I am celebrating something. The bigger the thing I accomplish the more I reward myself and that’s me. Do what make sense to you, choose your own reward.
7. Give yourself a break. Although you need to get things done, you also need breaks in between working to relax your mind and body. Don’t underestimate the importance of breaks. When you plan your day, add a break time as well. It is a must!!!!!
8. Take care of yourself. Talk to yourself, give yourself positive affirmations, believe in yourself and rust in your ability to do it. Be kind to yourself when you fail, it is not the end of the world, learn from your mistakes and carry on. You have got this.
9. Compare yourself to YOURSELF. Analyse everything you are doing now to what you did last month or last year. Are you getting better of worst? Have you learnt from the mistakes you made or are you repeating them? I have read that:” If you are still bragging about what you did last year, there is nothing exciting in your life right now.” If today you are still talking about being the prom queen or king during your high school years everyday, you are not doing anything new and exciting in your life. Do something new, you are your biggest competition, compare yourself to yourself.
10. Remind yourself what you are moving away from. What motivated you to start your blog, why did you decide to quit your job and start your own business? Ask yourself what will the consequences be if I continue o this path for a year or five years? Will you still want to live the life you are living right now?
11. Reduce your to do list to just one item. Sometimes it is overwhelming to see all the tasks and work waiting for you. Reduce your long to do list to just one or two items per day to give you a sense of getting somewhere slowly but surely.
12. Look back at your successes. Take sometime to look back at everything you have already accomplished and how it made you feel when you did it. Let those positive memories boost your motivation. Don’t you want to have that great feeling back again?
13. Visualize your goals and dreams. Imagine being it, having it, doing it. Make a clear picture of what you want and how you imagine yourself in the smallest details. Where are you? with who? doing what? Write it down and create a vision board. NOW MAKE IT HAPPEN
14. Be committed. You have made a promise to yourself to accomplish your goals and dreams, you will be more disappointed than anybody else if it doesn’t happen. You are doing it for yourself first, remember that.
How do you motivate yourself when you don’t feel like working?
Till next Sunday