Self love is a practice. It’s a practice of choosing yourself, putting yourself first, making yourself important, being kind and compassionate to yourself. It’s also choosing people, things, situations that are right and good for you. However like everything else there are bright and dark side of loving yourself
The bright and dark side of Loving Yourself
The dark side of loving yourself too much
Loving yourself will boost your confidence and building true confidence in yourself help you become a happier person but some people confuse confidence with narcissism. When you over do self love:
- You think you are better than others: Making fun of them for not knowing what you know, for not loving themselves, putting them down so they know you’re better than them
- You think you are always right: You always put the blame on someone else for your own mistakes because you think you are always right as you think you are better than others. It’s too hard for you to admit you are wrong especially to others
- You think you deserve everyone’s attention: Everywhere you go you want everything to be about you. You never let someone else shine even when it’s not your turn to shine. You always try to pull the conversation toward you. You think it’s always about “Me, Myself and I”
- You don’t have any healthy relationship: In friendship, in love even with your family the relationships are toxic. You think people should love you the way you unhealthily love yourself. You are trying to always make everything about you as if you are in a relationship with yourself
- You see everyone else as your competition: You so want to be the best at everything and the one who knows everything that you see everyone as your competition. You always compare your achievements with theirs. You are never happy and truly satisfy unless you are the smartest person in the room and you want to keep it that way
There are indeed more positive advantages of practicing self love
The bright side of loving yourself
- You will embrace who you truly are: You will discover more about yourself, what makes you happy, sad, angry, laugh etc. You will be amazed by what you will discover. Allow yourself to feel your emotions and accept who you are. You will stop seeking for approval from others people.
- You become more courageous and fearless: The self love journey will boost your courage as you will build healthy self confidence. You will be more available to try new things, things you have always wanted to do. It will give you the courage to get rid of things that don’t serve you and make space for things that will help you grow
- You will develop healthy relationships: It will help you develop the most important relationship in your life. The one you have with yourself. It will help you understand that happiness is found within yourself in fact you create your own happiness. Ultimately it will help you have healthier relationships with people around you. See related post How to practice and maintain healthy relationship
- You will start feeling more in charge of your life: Because yes you are entirely responsible of your own happiness. You have to find your passion, your purpose in life no one can do that for you but YOU. You will make yourself a priority, show up for yourself and know your worth
- You will attract goodness: If you love yourself you reflect happiness, confidence and people will see it on your face, your body language and the way you speak. Good vibes attract good vibes, you will find more to be grateful for even in the little things. You will vibrate at the highest level and open ways to attract more experiences, positive, reliable and happy people in your life.
- You will start caring for yourself at all levels: Spiritually, emotionally, physically and mentally, you will take car of all those aspects of your life. You will make healthier decisions, rest when need be, exercise to stay healthy. Basically everything you do take care of people you love most, you will be doing that for yourself as well.
- You will avoid people who hurt and mistreat you: no matter who they are, you will know when someone is mistreating you, hurting you on purpose not respecting your boundaries. Loving yourself will help you choose wisely who you let in your inner circle and why. Loving yourself will spring clean everything in your life to allow you to grow.
“We accept the love that we think we deserve” If you don’t know your worth you will settle for less
Wha are some other dark or brigjt side of loving yourself?
Till next Sunday